Do you celebrate Valentine’s Day with your significant other or spouse? What about with your kids? My parents always celebrated holidays, hallmark or not with us growing up and I think it is a fun excuse to get away and take a date night, but also get your kids involved. Even though Valentine’s Day is about chocolate and roses, I try to stay away from a ton of candy since they still have Halloween candy not eaten and get them “practical” gifts. Wanted to share a few ideas that your kids would still enjoy and save the candy for the classmates.
Idea 1: Use a fun box, bag or basket that you can stuff with their goodies:
- This year I found these super cute cardboard hearts for $5 and they are way bigger than I thought, but I love them. I got the pink for my daughter and red for my son.
Idea 2: Buy practical things for the season upcoming:
- Pajamas: Typically, I get the kids a pair of pajamas, because let’s be real, you can never have enough, and they are constantly outgrowing them. I love Old Navy pajamas for kids and they have cute patterns. Here are 3 links to the ones I bought this year:
- Shoes: I also get them a pair of shoes for the upcoming season, so spring in this case and this year I bought some really cute loafers from Old Navy for Grace, but I LOVE Native shoes for kids for spring and summer.
- Shirts: Lastly, I throw in a shirt or something for the upcoming season as well, like this neon sweater from Old Navy.
Idea 3: Fill in with some toys
- My son loves cars and can’t get enough, so this year my husband bought these on amazon that are color changing.
- Another idea are these hatchimals, I split them up between my two kids. They are really small, so be careful if you have young kids, they won’t stick them in their mouths.
- I also like art supplies for their gifts and love these paint sticks, no mess and easy to use.
Idea 4: Now add the candy for filler
- I love chocolate for candy but find that my kids really like “gummy” candy so I try to find a “healthier” gummy option, like fruit snacks or these Haribo gummy bears.
- These are fun valentines to pass out to class or day care “mates” or these!